Wednesday, April 20, 2011

MY Style Evolution

Have you ever looked back on old pictures and wondered "WHAT WAS I THINKING???!!!??" Oh my gosh that outfit is HEINOUS and lets not even get started on my HAIR!! EEEKKKK!!

Myself, Age 15



Well I myself just had one of those revelations as I was looking through some VERY old and fashionably DISTURBING photographs, SO I thought it'd be fun to share with you all my EVOLUTION of style and how I came to be FASHIONABLY FORWARD.



Age 1:  Fluffy Bunnies and Pink Power

In the early 90's, it was considered cool, by my mother especially, to dress your little infant daughter in hot pinks and pastel colors.  Let me remind you, this is a fashion no no, and these two types of colors clash.  Here I am pictured with a pastel sweater with an adorable fluffy bunny and hot pink leggings.  Comfy and casual, but still not a power outfit,  I think we could have done better mom.

Age 2: Its ALL About the Prints

This is the age when pastels were STILL my mother's favorite fashion colors only this time she added a lovely pattern to the mix.  Here I am on Christmas at grandma's house in a turquoise and hot pink dress, and I appear to be trying to but a pillow sheet over my head.  What a star I was!


Age 3: Really Mom?? Still Pink??

At this point, mom still hasn't gotten over her pink phase, but hey at least I got SOME type of jean in there.  Here Iam with Grandma and my older sister (who's Christmas sweater is terrifying to say the least) in a hot pink sweater with duckies and overalls on.  Can you say osh gosh b'gosh?


Age 4: Heck Yes Iam Irish!

Am I Irish? Yes! Does this dress scream St. Patrick's Day? Absolutely!  Here I am before taking my preschool portrait in a green puff sleeve dress paired with an apron.  I am proud to say my mother actually MADE this dress, and for my age, I have to say, this one was a keeper.


Age 5: Its Dress Up Time!

When I started kindergarten, there was nothing I loved more than playing dress up! I had a huge box just stacked with dress up clothes and my sister Erin and I would play for hours!  Here we are dressed up as pretty princesses, and probably minutes away from breaking into mom's closet to steal her shoes and jewelery!


Age 8: Its T-Shirt Time

At this age, all I remember wearing is T-Shirts! I couldn't have enough of em! They were so comfy and loose, I mean I felt like I was going to school in my pajamas.  Here I am sporting one that supports my country, and I even think I paired it with a gold chain to ad a little pizzaz.  Now thats creativity.




Age 9:  Jackie O Meets Christmas at the Franks

I just have to say, I remember LOVING this dress.  It was a gray twill dress with matching coat AND a fur collar.  What nine year old doesn't love that!  I remember beginning to LOVE anything with fur or animal print, which is totally not me today.  I also had a thing for dangled earrings, even if they didn't match, and also big costume jewelery which I paired with even my pajamas!


Age 12: The Mustang Pass

Here I am at the great age of 12 on my first day of middle school.  Was I nervous? Yes.  Was I a fashion disaster? Absolutely! Here I am with my newly blond hair and my Limited Too t-shirt, which of course as we all know, was all the rage back in the day.  This year, I mostly wore branded t-shirts like Limited Too but also had a punky side.  After all, Avril Lavigne was my style icon and I not only did I own every one of her cd's and posters, but I also would sport her signature look:  a white oxford with a black tie.


Age 14: Blended In

When I started high school, I was all about trying to look older.  Being 14, less than a hundred pounds, and under 5 feet isn't easy, so I would wear clothes that made me look older like thee one pictures.  I remember wearing lots of black to blend in and lots and lots of blue eyeshadow.  Needless to say, people figured out I was a freshman, a tiny freshman. 


Age 15:  Long and Fresh

When I was 15, I had long bleach blond hair and LOVED with a capitol L the color Maroon.  Literally, everything I would wear was maroon or had some type of maroon in it.  I can even remember walking into a store and just going straight to the maroons, its like no other color existed! Thankfully, this stage was a quickie and ended soon after it started.


Age 16: Back to Basics

When I turned 16, I decided to go back to my chocolate brown roots, chop off my Rapunzel hair, and start all over again.  This is where i think my style really began.  I started to fall in love with retro fashion and experiment with different textures and patterns.  Here I am with one of my favorite beach bags, which I still love to this day, and ocean beads which brought a soft accent to my simple outfit.


Age 16: My first DRIVERS LICENSE! Man do I look excited!


Age 17: Its all Natural

When I was a senior in high school, I initially had grown my hair out to a long length, but at the end, decided to chop it off and get some highlights! Here I am were my style is really beginning to show.  I am pictures with a hemp over the shoulder bag and a boho lace tank! During this time, I also started to play with different patterns and colors as seen here! Overall, I feel really good about this piece!


Age 19: Retro Chic

As I got older, I really started to iconisize 60's stars like Sharon Tate and Twiggy.  I loved the short little dresses and classic heels they would pair with over sized earrings.  This picture was actually taken on my 19th birthday downtown with my great friend Stacey!  I decided to go back blonder for the summer, which now I see as a regret, but overall, I am a big fan of the pieces I put together!


Today! Age 20!

Today, style and life wise, I couldn't be anywhere else! I love my style which is something I would describe as a little boho, a little urban, and ALOT retro.  I love anything that looks like it came straight from Audrey Hepburn's closet, and love my bangs! I went back to my natural color and added a little red which spices it up and am obsessed with SKINNIES which is great because working at Nextdoor, I have oodles and oodles of options!






Overall, My style through the years has been sometimes cute, sometimes frightening, but overall MY OWN, which no matter what, I am proud to say! So grab an old box of photo's and look at your OWN style evolution.  Heck, you might even get some GREAT ideas!  And don't forget to stop in Nextdoor, where we'll make your style evolution MEMORABLE!



 





No comments:

Post a Comment