Tuesday, March 8, 2011

In Remembrance



We all die.
The goal isn't to live forever,
the goal is to create
something that WILL.

Dad
August 31 1949- March 9 1999


With life, comes numerous possibilities.   We have the hope of prosperity and love, and with that comes the possibility of family and remarkable relationships.  We have visions of dazzling dreams, with the possibilities of making them come true and see them come to light.  We have motivation and drive, with the possibility of seeing it pay off to achieve our ultimate goal.  

However,  The most real and devastating of these possibilities, is that tomorrow is not always promised.  


Dad and Me Circa 2011

Have the courage to live.  Anyone Can Die.


When I was eight years old, my father, my inspiration in life, passed away at the age of 49.  His death was unexpected and extremely devastating for myself, and my family.  Although he has passed, his memory and legacy will live on forever inside my head and my heart.

Dad Circa 1995
My dad was an exceptional individual to say the least.  He was not only one of the most  gifted and intelligent people I have ever known or met, but his heart and his strength have inspired me, and the way I want to live my life.  My dad was born with thirteen brothers and sisters, and when he lost his father at the age of thirteen,  he worked hard to help his mother support his  large family.  He saw loss from a young age, and even though his family struggled financially, he never let it ruin who he was or his spirit.  


Dad Circa 1950's

Life is like a coin. You can spend it any way you wish, but you only spend it once.

At the age of eighteen, my dad was drafted into Vietnam were his smarts were put to the test.  He was a Green Beret, and aimed to save prisoners of war in enemy territory.  He saved young lives and risked it all to protect his country.  I can still remember as a child, the pride my dad had in his role in our countries history.  I can still hear his voice telling us anything and everything about the war, from the rats he ate (ew) to the friends he made.  My dad was so proud of his contribution, and even earned a purple heart from being wounded in action to protect the country he loved.  My dad had such a large capacity for compassion.  Upon returning home, he became a volunteer Fire-Fighter were he helped to save countless lives and aide those in need.  He also spent his time volunteering at schools like Ethan Allen for troubled boys, where he would encourage them to make good choices and listen to them, which is sometimes all that someone needs to be understood.  He devoted his life to others.  He was selfless and motivated, what I aspire to be.

Dad (Middle) Circa 1960's


After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. 

Me and Dad Circa 1992
On the day my father passed, he was nothing out of the ordinary.  He felt little pain, had little thought about tomorrow, and had no idea that he only had but mere hours to live.  The last time I spoke to or saw my father,  I was a tiny eight years old girl, standing in my kitchen, without a clue that that was the last time I would ever see my beloved father again.  I often think back to that night, because the days after are so blurred and distorted.  I aim to see my dad who he was in LIFE, not in death, because that is who he was..full of life and full of love.



Dad Circa 1996


It's been thirteen years since his passing, and not a day goes by that I don't think about him or see his image walking towards me.  My dad IS my ultimate inspiration.  He is my reason for getting up in the morning and dragging my butt to school.  He is the reason that I work hard to further my education, and maintain positivity, even in times of hardship.  My life is truly better because he was in it, and there isn't a thing in the world I would trade for my time with him.  He is ultimately what I strive to be, and he is the reason that I live every day to my fullest.  He taught me how to grow up, be an exceptional individual, and show love and compassion to those in need.  He showed me how to be understanding, and listen, and know that we all have a plan.  He ultimately taught me how to LIVE and to be who I am with no apologies.  My dad may not be here physically with me on this earth, but he is here.  His spirit   lies within me and those who he had forever touched in his lifetime.  


Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.


Robert Allen Frank
Born to Life March 9, 1999
I am sure as the sky is blue that I will see my father again, and he will be healthy and free from his chains that he had here on earth.  I will never again have to say goodbye, and he will greet me with his big blue eyes, his corky smile, and open arms.


My old friend, this song's for you
Cause a few simple verses
Was the least that I could do
To tell the world that you were here
Cause the love and the laughter
Will live on long after
All of the sadness and the tears
We'll meet again, my old friend

For those of you struggling with grief, don't hold it in, seek help from a friend, family member, or grief counselor in your area.  

2 comments:

  1. Amanda,

    That was a beautiful tribute to your father. Well done!

    Renotta

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear that you lost your Dad at such a young age...for both of you. Life is a gift, a gift that I am all too aware of. I lost my Mom 3 months ago, very unexpectedly. At age 38 it is was horrible, at age 8 is simply unfair. Glad to know you Amanda. Your Dad would be extremely proud, keep up the good work. xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete